Thursday, April 30, 2009

Niftymitter


OK, so I thought it was time to kick off a new Zero-waste project:
FM transmission.

I went to a great workshop by Tetsuo Kogawa which brought the idea of building my own FM transmitter back into my head - I tried this one a couple of years ago with very poor results. However Kogawa really got me excited and he had a wonderful way with the 15 or so people who came to his workshop at the CCA. He was demonstrating his Simplest FM Transmitter which is a really simple design and an easy make for the most novice of novices - with his copper-clad board method you don't even have to be any good at soldering to do it!

Right, so we know that everyone likes short range FM radio transmitters for tuning into their iPod in the car. Kogawa uses them for sound art. With a mic, they make good wee walky talkies or perhaps baby monitors. And lastly as my uncle has shown, they're good for replacing a PA in a concert situation as a more gentle, distributed, way of transferring sound.

So I'd like to make a small unit that could serve all these purposes one way or another. And its going to be open, electronics, mechanics and all.

Here's a picture of the first one I soldered up from Kogawa's plans - it works! As you can see the thing is the size of a 9V battery. Nifty.

No comments: